The "matança" was (and still is in some areas) a very important event in Mallorca.
The traditional recipe contains potatoes, onions, tomatoes, peppers, garlic, olive oil, herbs and spices (mostly clover, chillies, pepper and bay leaf) which are fried with liver, blood, lungs, etc. Variations include offal from lamb or goat, as well as other meat cuts or fish.
Its origins can be traced back to the medieval Jewish community on the island, the Sephardi, because of its similarities with Arabic and Jewish-Sephardi cuisine, and it is already mentioned in a 14th-century manuscript.
There are local specialities such as the "Frit de rates" with game, "Frit de sang" made with blood and typically from the Serra de Tramuntana or "Frit variat" with lots of different ingredients.
More Mallorca Insights...
- Fiestas, Festivals & Fairs 2021 in Mallorca
- Michelin stars 2021 in Mallorca
- Top 10 adventure sports to do in Mallorca
- Healthy & organic eating in Mallorca
- The 6 most beautiful natural attractions in Mallorca
- Best 8 day trips in Mallorca