Panades are made in Easter week, taking advantage of the meat preserved after the 'matança' in December, and eaten during Easter weekend to celebrate the end of the prohibition to eat meat.
Usually all the women in the family gathered together to prepare panades, together with their sweet version, the rubiols.
They are traditionally filled with lamb, but there are versions with pork, chicken, sobrassada, vegetables and even fish.
More Mallorca Insights...
- What's on in Mallorca December 2019
- Michelin stars 2020 in Mallorca
- November 2019 in Mallorca - Top 8 things to do
- What's on this Halloween 2019 in Mallorca
- The ideal island wedding - Rafa Nadal's marriage in Mallorca
- Rafa Nadal's stag do in Palma