Tumbet (or "tombet") is a quintessentially Mediterranean recipe that combines fried laminated aubergines, potatoes, red peppers and tomatoes, together with olive oil and garlic and sometimes zuchinni. The perfect dish to enjoy under the bright Mallorcan sun.
Its Mediterranean character is clear when compared to other similar dishes that can be found around the coast such as the samfaina from Cataluña and Valencia, or the Provençal ratatouille.
The recipe can be dated back to the 16th century after potatoes and tomatoes were introduced in Europe. A wonderful feast of melt in your mouth vegetables, tumbet is very popular around the island and it is a great choice for those vegetarian or vegan visitors to Mallorca. It is also sometimes served along with meat or fish.
More Mallorca Insights...
- Top 10 adventure sports to do in Mallorca
- Healthy & organic eating in Mallorca
- The 6 most beautiful natural attractions in Mallorca
- Best 8 day trips in Mallorca
- Mallorca in top 10 most popular destinations 2020
- Top 8 rooftop bars in Palma de Mallorca