Located on the hillside of Sant Salvador above Arta this building dominates the skyline over the town of Arta.
In a Neo-Gothic tradition, its construction began in 1573 to replace the original thirteenth-century church, which had become too small. In the seventeenth century works it is completed header, and the vault in 1816. The Annex is the seventeenth century bell tower.
Outside the building you can see the side buttresses supporting the vault and the lateral dome that illuminates the church. Inside there are up to 14 small chapels dedicated to different saints. The altarpiece was installed in 1906, and represents various scenes of the Transfiguration of the Lord. Other elements are the baptismal font in 1672, the organ of the nineteenth and twentieth century impressive stained glass windows.
Read our review of a visit to the church here.
- Carrer Sant Salvador s/n
More Mallorca Insights...
- See Mallorca's almond blossoms in 2020
- Mallorca in January 2020 - What's on & what to do
- Happy New Year from Mallorca!
- Merry Christmas from the team at SeeMallorca.com
- Christmas & New Year 2019 in Mallorca - The best things to do
- Top 6 reasons to visit Palma in winter 2019/20