Pollentia was founded by the consul Qintus Caecilius Metellus in 123 BC in the strategic location between the bays of Pollenca and Alcudia. It was the most important city in the Balearics duing the Roman period and covered an area of 15-20 hectares.
Artefacts of the site were first discovered in the 17th century but excavations were not started until 1923. The work still continues today and is funded by the Consorci de la Ciutat Romana de Pol-lentia.
There are three areas open to the public – the theatre, the forum and the residential area of La Portella. There is also a museum, the Museu Monografic de Pol-lentia in the centre of Alcudia (by the church) which displays many of the objects found on the site.
- Carrer Major 9
More Mallorca Insights...
- July 2020 in Mallorca - what's the weather & what to do
- Mallorca reopens for summer 2020
- Travel to Mallorca opens on June 21st 2020
- Blue Flag beaches in Mallorca in 2020
- Holidays in Mallorca - Tourists welcome in July 2020
- More airlines flying to Mallorca in June 2020