Pollentia was founded by the consul Qintus Caecilius Metellus in 123 BC in the strategic location between the bays of Pollenca and Alcudia. It was the most important city in the Balearics duing the Roman period and covered an area of 15-20 hectares.
Artefacts of the site were first discovered in the 17th century but excavations were not started until 1923. The work still continues today and is funded by the Consorci de la Ciutat Romana de Pol-lentia.
There are three areas open to the public – the theatre, the forum and the residential area of La Portella. There is also a museum, the Museu Monografic de Pol-lentia in the centre of Alcudia (by the church) which displays many of the objects found on the site.
- Carrer Major 9
More Mallorca Insights...
- Top 10 adventure sports to do in Mallorca
- Healthy & organic eating in Mallorca
- The 6 most beautiful natural attractions in Mallorca
- Best 8 day trips in Mallorca
- Mallorca in top 10 most popular destinations 2020
- Top 8 rooftop bars in Palma de Mallorca