Pollentia was founded by the consul Qintus Caecilius Metellus in 123 BC in the strategic location between the bays of Pollenca and Alcudia. It was the most important city in the Balearics duing the Roman period and covered an area of 15-20 hectares.
Artefacts of the site were first discovered in the 17th century but excavations were not started until 1923. The work still continues today and is funded by the Consorci de la Ciutat Romana de Pol-lentia.
There are three areas open to the public – the theatre, the forum and the residential area of La Portella. There is also a museum, the Museu Monografic de Pol-lentia in the centre of Alcudia (by the church) which displays many of the objects found on the site.
- Carrer Major 9
More Mallorca Insights...
- Mallorca to host men's ATP tour event in 2020
- Top 10 fine restaurants in Mallorca in 2019
- Mallorca in Europe's top 10 destinations 2019
- Calo des Moro, smoke & alcohol-free beach
- Organic & healthy eating in Mallorca in 2019
- International visitors flock to Palma in 2019