It's Pollença's turn to reenact the battle between the local hero Joan Mas and the pirate invasion of the Moors led by Dragut Rais.
The celebrations start every year with an Alborada (a traditional Pollenca song) and end with fireworks. The morning song is followed by mass, then the dance of Es Cossiers. At 17:30 an image of the Virgin Mary is paraded through the streets, led by folk in 1500s costume. The real fun starts at 19:00 with the reenacted battle – villagers dress up in tatty pyjamas and face paint, armed with cutlasses, swords and sticks.
Expect much jollity, dressing up and firecrackers, and a strong liquor known as 'mesclat' which no doubt gives the soldiers some Dutch courage!
More Mallorca Insights...
- Top 10 adventure sports to do in Mallorca
- Healthy, organic & eco eating in Mallorca
- 6 most beautiful natural attractions in Mallorca
- Best 8 day trips in Mallorca
- Mallorca in top 10 most popular destinations 2020
- Top 8 rooftop bars in Palma de Mallorca