Until the 1960s the sea reached up to the city walls, providing the perfect reflection for the cathedral. When the building of a new road changed all that, an artificial lake was constructed to reproduce the effect.
The park around the lake is now a popular weekend and summer spot, with several cafes, a mural donated by Joan Miro and an art gallery in the vaults of the old city walls.
Sit beneath the palm trees gazing up at the cathedral and try to imagine the travellers of days gone by arriving at this same spot from the sea by boat. The park also hosts a number of events, concerts and festivals throughout the year.
More Mallorca Insights...
- July 2020 in Mallorca - What weather to expect & what to do
- Mallorca reopens for summer 2020
- Travel to Mallorca opens on June 21st 2020
- Blue Flag beaches in Mallorca in 2020
- Holidays in Mallorca - Tourists welcome in July 2020
- More airlines flying to Mallorca in June 2020