Until the 1960s the sea reached up to the city walls, providing the perfect reflection for the cathedral. When the building of a new road changed all that, an artificial lake was constructed to reproduce the effect.
The park around the lake is now a popular weekend and summer spot, with several cafes, a mural donated by Joan Miro and an art gallery in the vaults of the old city walls.
Sit beneath the palm trees gazing up at the cathedral and try to imagine the travellers of days gone by arriving at this same spot from the sea by boat. The park also hosts a number of events, concerts and festivals throughout the year.
More Mallorca Insights...
- Mallorca's new food & fun hub opens May 2020
- See Mallorca's almond blossoms in 2020
- Mallorca in January 2020 - What's on & what to do
- Happy New Year from Mallorca!
- Merry Christmas from the team at SeeMallorca.com
- Christmas & New Year 2019 in Mallorca - The best things to do