The Fiesta Sant Sebastià is one of the biggest festivals in Mallorca. It takes place every January to celebrate the patron saint of the capital, Saint Sebastian.
For two weeks, the city celebrates with cultural activities, sports events, lots of entertainment for children (especially at Sant Sebastià Petit, a kid's party with live music, workshops and other activities for the little ones) and live music.
The big night is on the 19th, the day of Saint Sebastian when a big bonfire is lit at the Plaça Major to mark the beginning of the festivities. Giants and the Drac Na Coca, a dragon, parade across the square to the music of the traditional 'xeremiers' or bagpipe players. This is also when the 'revetlla' takes place, a music event that fills up all the squares of Palma with free concerts. Another very popular event is the 'Correfoc', a fire run that takes place on January 26th.
There are also exhibitions, music, guided tours and parades for the duration of the festival. Find all the details in the official programme (available about a week before the event) by clicking on the web link.
More Mallorca Insights...
- Where's The Mallorca Files filmed? - A guide to the show's locations
- Top 11 Mallorca wedding venues for 2020
- Mallorca in March 2020 - What weather to expect & what to do
- An empowering retreat in breathtaking Mallorca
- The Van Mallorca SuppER CluB 2020 Review
- What's on in Mallorca in February 2020?