The monastery in Miramar can be found close to Valldemossa on the road to Deia. It was founded by King Jaume II in 1276 as a missionary school following a request by Ramon Llull (a 13th-century theologian and philosopher).
The Archduke Ludwig Salvadore of Austria (1847 - 1915) bought the property in 1872 after falling in love with the scenery of the western coast of Mallorca.
At present, Miramar is owned by the Vives family. There is a small museum where visitors can view objects, documents and works of art relating to the worlds of Llull and the Archduke. A garden with beautiful views to the sea can also be enjoyed by visitors.
- Diseminado Miramar 1
More Mallorca Insights...
- Safe beaches in Mallorca this summer 2020
- 7 fantastic family beaches in Mallorca
- July 2020 in Mallorca - what's the weather & what to do
- Mallorca reopens for summer 2020
- Travel to Mallorca opens on June 21st 2020
- Blue Flag beaches in Mallorca in 2020