The monastery in Miramar can be found close to Valldemossa on the road to Deia. It was founded by King Jaume II in 1276 as a missionary school following a request by Ramon Llull (a 13th-century theologian and philosopher).
The Archduke Ludwig Salvadore of Austria (1847 - 1915) bought the property in 1872 after falling in love with the scenery of the western coast of Mallorca.
At present, Miramar is owned by the Vives family. There is a small museum where visitors can view objects, documents and works of art relating to the worlds of Llull and the Archduke. A garden with beautiful views to the sea can also be enjoyed by visitors.
- Diseminado Miramar 1
More Mallorca Insights...
- The ideal island wedding - Rafa Nadal's marriage in Mallorca
- Rafa Nadal's stag do in Palma
- Felicity Jones & Shailene Woodley on set in Mallorca
- Explore the Mallorcan mountains on horseback
- Palma Nit de l'Art 2019 Review
- Mallorca in October 2019 - What to see & do