Alaró is located in the foothills of the Tramuntana mountains, between Palma and Inca.
Presently in ruins, it formerly occupied practically all of the top mountain, (Puig d'Alaró, 822 meters high), and is surrounded by extremely high cliffs. The Castle has existed from before the conquest of Mallorca and its most important historical event was the heroic resistance of King Jaumes II knights, Cabrit and Bassa (popular legend considers them martyrs) against the troops of King Alfonso III of Aragón.
The distance from Alaró to es Pouet is about 7 km and the climb provides some beautiful views of the plain of Mallorca, as far as the city of Palma. But what is truly impressive is the view from the top of the Puig d'Alaro of the valley of Orient and the central portion of the Serra de Tramuntana, with the Puig Major as the backdrop. See also our page of Castles & Ruins.
- Distance: 7km
- Hiking / Walking
- Trails & Routes
More Mallorca Insights...
- July 2020 in Mallorca - what's the weather & what to do
- Mallorca reopens for summer 2020
- Travel to Mallorca opens on June 21st 2020
- Blue Flag beaches in Mallorca in 2020
- Holidays in Mallorca - Tourists welcome in July 2020
- More airlines flying to Mallorca in June 2020