If you drive around the coast of Mallorca, you will find ancient towers or 'torres' that were used to guard the island against invasions by unwelcome visitors.
They date back to the 1500's when the Muslim pirates were sailing the seas of the Mediterranean. These defence towers were built by the Spanish to act as lookouts for boats of these pirates. Once pirates were spotted, a fire would be lit and the message transmitted down the coast all the way to Palma if necessary.
Read more on our report on The Ancient Coastal Towers of Mallorca
More Mallorca Insights...
- Explore the Mallorcan mountains on horseback
- Palma Nit de l'Art 2019 Review
- Mallorca in October 2019 - What to see & do
- Best 11 restaurants for groups in Mallorca 2019
- Mallorca to host men's ATP tour event in 2020
- Top 10 fine restaurants in Mallorca in 2019