If you drive around the coast of Mallorca, you will find ancient towers or 'torres' that were used to guard the island against invasions by unwelcome visitors.
They date back to the 1500's when the Muslim pirates were sailing the seas of the Mediterranean. These defence towers were built by the Spanish to act as lookouts for boats of these pirates. Once pirates were spotted, a fire would be lit and the message transmitted down the coast all the way to Palma if necessary.
Read more on our report on The Ancient Coastal Towers of Mallorca
More Mallorca Insights...
- Fiestas, Festivals & Fairs 2021 in Mallorca
- Michelin stars 2021 in Mallorca
- Top 10 adventure sports to do in Mallorca
- Healthy & organic eating in Mallorca
- The 6 most beautiful natural attractions in Mallorca
- Best 8 day trips in Mallorca