If you drive around the coast of Mallorca, you will find ancient towers or 'torres' that were used to guard the island against invasions by unwelcome visitors.
They date back to the 1500's when the Muslim pirates were sailing the seas of the Mediterranean. These defence towers were built by the Spanish to act as lookouts for boats of these pirates. Once pirates were spotted, a fire would be lit and the message transmitted down the coast all the way to Palma if necessary.
Read more on our report on The Ancient Coastal Towers of Mallorca
More Mallorca Insights...
- July 2020 in Mallorca - What weather to expect & what to do
- Mallorca reopens for summer 2020
- Travel to Mallorca opens on June 21st 2020
- Blue Flag beaches in Mallorca in 2020
- Holidays in Mallorca - Tourists welcome in July 2020
- More airlines flying to Mallorca in June 2020