If you drive around the coast of Mallorca, you will find ancient towers or 'torres' that were used to guard the island against invasions by unwelcome visitors.
They date back to the 1500's when the Muslim pirates were sailing the seas of the Mediterranean. These defence towers were built by the Spanish to act as lookouts for boats of these pirates. Once pirates were spotted, a fire would be lit and the message transmitted down the coast all the way to Palma if necessary.
Read more on our report on The Ancient Coastal Towers of Mallorca
More Mallorca Insights...
- An empowering retreat in breathtaking Mallorca
- The Van Mallorca SuppER CluB 2020 Review
- What's on in Mallorca in February 2020?
- Mallorca's new food & fun hub opens May 2020
- See Mallorca's almond blossoms in 2020
- Mallorca in January 2020 - What's on & what to do