The single's final of the 2019 WTA Mallorca Open, the women's tennis championship at Santa Ponça Tennis Club, took place yesterday. US player Sofia 'Sonya' Kenin claimed the title for herself after a challenging game, ending at 6-7, 7-6 and 6-4.
This is Kenin's second WTA title, after winning at Hobart in January, and has made her number 30 in the world. Kirsten Flipkens and Johana Larsson were the winners in the doubles' championship
This year, some of the most important players in the world flew to Mallorca to take part in the grass-court tournament, including Maria Sharapova, Angelique Kerber, Caroline García and Viktoria Azarenka. Sharapova reappeared at this tournament after an injury that kept her away from the courts for five months, and was beaten by Kerber before the quarterfinals.
More Mallorca Insights...
- Mallorca to host men's ATP tour event in 2020
- Top 10 fine restaurants in Mallorca in 2019
- Mallorca in Europe's top 10 destinations 2019
- Calo des Moro, smoke & alcohol-free beach
- Organic & healthy eating in Mallorca in 2019
- International visitors flock to Palma in 2019