The Ermita de Betlem was founded in 1805 by the monks of Saint Honoratus, Randa and the Holy Trinity of Valldemossa. The church has a solar clock and a rose window, and lies at the end of a cypress tree-lined driveway.
The church was designed by architect Joan Rosselló, and inside there are sculptures by Adrià Ferran and a vault decorated with frescoes by Francesc Parietti.
The hermitage is completed by orchards, a fountain and outbuildings (including an ancient water-mill) that allowed the monks to live self-sufficiently.
Due to the steep climb to reach the chapel, and the wonderful views, it is very popular with cyclists and hikers.
More Mallorca Insights...
- See Mallorca's almond blossoms in 2020
- Mallorca in January 2020 - What's on & what to do
- Happy New Year from Mallorca!
- Merry Christmas from the team at SeeMallorca.com
- Christmas & New Year 2019 in Mallorca - The best things to do
- Top 6 reasons to visit Palma in winter 2019/20