Visit the monastery at Valldemossa, where Chopin and George Sand spent the winter of 1838-9. The Real Cartuja (Royal Carthusian Monastery) was originally a royal residence, until Carthusian monks occupied the building from 1399 until 1835.
The origins of the cartuja date back to the time of king Jaume II, who chose this spot to build a palace for his son Sancho. In 1399, it was donated to Carthusian monks.
It has white-arched corridors leading to 'cells' containing museums on various themes. Visit the old pharmacy - you can almost smell the herbs - then look into the library, where the monks would meet for half an hour a week, their only human contact. There is a fine modern art museum, with works by Picasso, Miro and Juli Ramis, and of course there is Chopin's cell...
Read about our Trip to the Ral Cartuja.
- Plaça de la Cartoixa s/n
More Mallorca Insights...
- Fiestas, Festivals & Fairs 2021 in Mallorca
- Michelin stars 2021 in Mallorca
- Top 10 adventure sports to do in Mallorca
- Healthy & organic eating in Mallorca
- The 6 most beautiful natural attractions in Mallorca
- Best 8 day trips in Mallorca