Artà is a picturesque town just a few kilometres inland from the north-east coast of Mallorca. Tucked in a valley, it is surrounded by the mountains of the Llevant Natural Park along with some of the island's most beautiful rural plains.
The residents of Arta are primarily Mallorquin but the town does tend to attract tourists on Tuesdays for its weekly market, which is famous for its local pottery and basket weaving. Culture vultures are drawn to this area for its historic landmarks, particularly the Bronze Age Talaiotic settlement of Ses Païsses, the Sanctuary of Sant Salvador, and the ancient fortress walls that surround it, and, of course, the legendary Caves d'Arta.
Having stayed relatively untouched by tourism, Artà is a great destination to discover the authentic rural Mallorca. The coast is about 10km away and is easy to access thanks to the island's good public transport links.
More Mallorca Insights...
- Mallorca's new food & fun hub opens May 2020
- See Mallorca's almond blossoms in 2020
- Mallorca in January 2020 - What's on & what to do
- Happy New Year from Mallorca!
- Merry Christmas from the team at SeeMallorca.com
- Christmas & New Year 2019 in Mallorca - The best things to do