The town of Andratx is located in a valley on the southwestern tip of the Serra de Tramuntana mountains. Surrounded by orange groves and almond trees, which leave a 'snowfall' of blossom each February, Andratx is a pretty, sleepy rural town that embodies the authentic Mallorca.
Like many towns around the coast, Andratx was built several kilometres inland from its port, Port d'Andratx, in a bid to deter pirate raids. Today, Andratx remains a pretty and authentic Mallorcan town almost untouched by tourism, which means there are only a few options for visitors to base themselves here. The port and the surrounding hillsides, on the other hand, are scattered with holiday homes and villas targeting affluent tourists.
The town only really gets animated on Wednesdays when the quaint streets are taken over by market stalls selling vegetables, cheeses and fish. This is the best time to visit. When you have finished your shopping, climb to the top of the town to see the 13th-century church of Santa Maria.
More Mallorca Insights...
- July 2020 in Mallorca - what's the weather & what to do
- Mallorca reopens for summer 2020
- Travel to Mallorca opens on June 21st 2020
- Blue Flag beaches in Mallorca in 2020
- Holidays in Mallorca - Tourists welcome in July 2020
- More airlines flying to Mallorca in June 2020